Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    numnah
    10 Posts

Hey guy. Im looking for any info on people who live full time or part time in their van. Any tips or ideas. Im thinking about installing a wood stove in mine. would be cool to see peoples winter rig set ups.

Im hoping to live in my van for most of april and plan on hitting a few spots in Canada. Road trip would be from jasper to nelson. Full time van and split life. my van in the summer

3 deep breaths. -"grade 7 teacher"

aksltxlt
    621 Posts

F250 4×4. I’m looking for an overhead camper. Traveling to AK from Tahoe starting April first. Would be stoked to caravan and share some turns in Canada

fustercluck
    668 Posts

This is the guy you want to talk to

numnah
    10 Posts

Yo @fustercluck are you thinkiing about a wood stove as well? i found a guy in canada that makes small ones for $395. Plus you need to find the piping.

boardrider247
    61 Posts

Winter in a van.
    Moisture will be your biggest enemy. I don’t full time in my van but spend 3-4 weeks a year in it mostly in the fall surfing. I have spent more then a few winter nights sleeping in it as well. My current setup is to crack the front windows and run a exhaust fan in the back. It works but obviously you need a good sleeping bag to stay warm.

The wood stove is something I have thought of many times. It would do a good job of changing air in the van to dry things out and obviously keep warm. What I haven’t figured out is how to route the venting in such a way the stove get’s proper draft without creating a monstrosity on the side of my van.

If you have any interest here is my build thread I have going.
    http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/119291-The-great-white-fun-hog-(another-white-GM-awd-build)
    It’s not done yet but getting close.

Cheers!
    Danny

boardrider247
    61 Posts

Pic’s for fun
    2016-01-10_08-14-36 by Danny Knowlan[/url], on Flickr

IMG_20150926_100450 by Danny Knowlan[/url], on Flickr

IMG_20150909_182030 by Danny Knowlan[/url], on Flickr

numnah
    10 Posts

Dang Danny. That’s a sweet rig. Yeah mine is old. Still thinking about this wood stove. They say for a small stove you Need about 6 feet of pipe. I was just thinking about running it straight out of the roof? What do you mean by creating proper draft? My problem is finding 3 inch or 4 inch pipe as it seems to be a American thing. Dude who wants to sell me the stove suggested muffler pipe. Seems sketchy.

boardrider247
    61 Posts

What do you mean by creating proper draft?

Draft is the warm air in the stove flowing up through the chimney drawing fresh air into the stove so the wood burns.
    The longer the chimney or flue pipe the more natural draft you will have. If you don’t have enough then you get smoke back into your van and have a hard time keeping the fire lit, especially when first starting it. Using a smaller diameter flue pipe also helps draft to a certain extent.

Honestly I’m not sure how much any of this matters on these little stoves but when I used a portable wood stove in a canvas tent it came with more flue pipe then I expected and I was told that was to help it draft properly.

Check out this pic and how much pipe he has sticking out of his tent
    null

boardrider247
    61 Posts

As far as using muffler pipe I think it would be fine. Cat’s on vehicles run hot and are connected directly to the same muffler pipe without issue. Though double wall pipe would be better as it add’s some insulating qualities.

Sorry if I’m geeking out on this but I love this van living stuff and get into it

numnah
    10 Posts

Yo @aKsltxlt Let’s keep in touch. I’m down. And regardless swing by jasper national park if I can’t make it happen. I will be shredding the parkway all of April. But I’m hoping to do a road trip if I can get the van in order.

numnah
    10 Posts

@boardrider247 geek out all you want. Im doing as much all the research as i can, i need all the help i can get.

The stove im looking at.

boardrider247
    61 Posts

@numnah
    Check this out. You could build yourself a ammo can stove and save a couple bucks
    http://jonsbushcraft.com/ammo-can-stove.htm
    That dude does use muffler pipe for his flue FWIW

On the other side of things these are a little more money but look like nice units and a little smaller footprint

Newport Solid Fuel Heater

I like the dickinson as well because it should burn wood pellets better then the other options.
    Pellets are sweet since you can pick them up in 50# bags for like $4 rather then sneaking behind walmarts on the road looking for pallets to burn

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.