Forums Current Conditions Colorado 15/16 – el invierno de el niño
Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 77 total)
  • Author
    DEAGOL
    48 Posts

amazing as always, SG

cometogether
    385 Posts

Sg you are definitely having a good start to the season, and some great pics! stoke is getting high over here! alpine has been ski-able and most trees are riding pretty deep for January. Last sunday had some deep snow with great stability. Got to drop some rocks and let that board breath!
    For some reason I have not been interested in taking pictures or video, probably because the majority of my days out have been stormy type weather and pictures just don’t turn out that well when the lighting isnt good. at least with my two year old Iphone… I need to step up my camera game. but since I ride with mostly skiers how cool would it be to litter this post with skier pictures?
    I promise to bring more front range stoke here shortly, winter schedule for me starts in February.

keep the stoke alive COLORADO is having a great season thus far!

summersgone
    814 Posts

Not many pictures from the weekend (overcast then dumping), but got into a new zone (which is awesome, lots of potential!), and toured 3 days. Got over the 50K total mark for climbing for the year finally. I’m probably a bit behind on the 150K vert goal this year, but 20 distinct runs (1/2 way there), and 7 of 10 brand new runs/areas. So its been fun. Did 5 different runs where we didn’t cross a track all weekend too, even when it was pretty busy, so that was awesome.

Dug 2 pits on NE facing slopes, obviously wind loading. It seems events have been flip flopping the ridges and stripping and reloading. I would call our alpine pretty complex, hard to know what has been happening. I’ve personally been avoiding it the past couple weeks. Winds have shifted daily with 15+mph winds from the SW then the NW, then the N, etc. Only thing we haven’t seen is SE winds. I targeted a site that had been wind loaded last week, then stripped a bit recently. Facet layer was the only problem layer observed, approx 80cm down. 150cm HS. ECTN on it. I targeted another spot where facets were 40cm down and surprisingly got ECTN as well. I haven’t got any instability signs in a few weeks on northerly below treeline slopes. So basically that is what we rode all weekend. NW to NE facing below treeline. It seems any small anchor areas are the ones holding the shallowest slabs, so be careful, because they can go big if triggered.

A group had backed off this line prior, and I felt pretty confident on the pack, so we dropped in. Still avoided the start zone. Another group skied the large path next to this without consequence, but you could tell were not fully committing either. I probably wouldn’t have made that call as they did. But felt our line was manageable and safe.

Overnight red mountain pass has picked up 14″ of new snow as well. Continuing to deliver!

Been out quite a bit lately and conditions have been great snow-wise! Been touring from the gore south to monarch area and have had nothing but great pow turns!! Definately have to get creative due to all the wind but sheltered spots have been great!! Mostly riding / hiding below treeline to avoid windslabs that are prevalent from our wind events. But couldnt be happier with how great this season has been thus far!!!!! No pics…sorry, need to get them off my phone and onto the interweb! I do post on ista: @JMAUDSLEY218 Looks like a great sunny warm week followed by an interesting storm cycle towards the wkend!

DEAGOL
    48 Posts

several big slides around the Front Range lately. The snow was also crusty on Sunday… hope things improve soon.

SplitterX
    104 Posts

Iphone Jan 2016 452 by travis young 424[/url], on Flickr

Thanks for the contributions SG and everyone. Ill try to take more pics and contribute more. It’s been a great year so far. Staying in the aspens lately till the avi danger drops. Is there anywhere else that can compare to Colorado for aspen tree skiing? I changed my user name, see you all the Silverton splitfest!

cheers T

Fast and smooth

summersgone
    814 Posts

@splitterX Travis! Good to hear from you. Unfortunately, we get shafted normally in the aspen department down here. I keep looking for good ones, but don’t really find it. I want an old growth, N facing, 2K foot aspen run please! I’ll be getting up to the Eiseman hut next week near Vail, so any beta people have would be great!

SplitterX
    104 Posts

SG, are you skinning from the parking area to Eisman or taking sleds up to the cut off? I would love to show you a hidden area close by that’s sick. The terrain around Eisman is pretty week and limited but the goods are close.

Iphone Jan 2016 023 by travis young 424[/url], on Flickr

Very near Eisman hut. Jeff Cricco photo cred.

Oh yeah, Cometogether, bring that sled up and lets get out! Sleds are a necessary evil in these areas, but well worth it once your up and on the split

Fast and smooth

summersgone
    814 Posts

I wasn’t planning on bringing sleds, as I didn’t think there was much it was going to get me. Seems like new rules make it so you would only knock out 2 miles, but still would be 5 miles from the sleds? Am I right or wrong there? it was a bit cryptic on how to interpret. Since its a 5 hour drive, didn’t think it was worth it to lug the sleds for 2 miles.

If you know anything about sleds tho that I don’t there, let me know.

I’ve been looking around at the map, nothing is really “jumping” out at me. Seems a lot of mini golf style terrain around. I have figured out a few tours that link up and potential, but they will be a bit of an approach to really get what I see is good long runs. its interesting they say its the “best skiing for the 10th mountain” but you say its weak. I guess huts weren’t made for skiing.

SplitterX
    104 Posts

There are two ways to get to the Eisman hut. You can legally take sleds up the Piney Lake road/Red sandstone road up to the cut off to Eisman, I would guess 5 miles and cut out a lot of the approach and be closer to the bigger lines. Upper Piney and South piney Bristol are where it’s at, but to skin the approach would take days. I doubt its worth bringing the sleds now, but maybe someday. Have fun and cheers.

Keep the stoke alive Summersgone. All us CO splitters have you to thank for not only keeping this thread going but also the SSF. Thanks again

Fast and smooth

summersgone
    814 Posts

yeah, from my calculations, thats 2.2 miles. The sled would still be 5 miles away. probably not going to happen this trip.
    http://www.hillmap.com/m/ag1zfmhpbGxtYXAtaGRychULEghTYXZlZE1hcBiAgICQlK7yCQw

I’m going to try this one probably. don’t care to let anyone see, because its a ways out there! 2K N facing tree line potentially.
    http://www.hillmap.com/m/ag1zfmhpbGxtYXAtaGRychULEghTYXZlZE1hcBiAgIDQwoOCCQw

Seems a lot of S facing trees as well closer to the hut. So if there is enough snow may be OK. We’ll see.
    http://www.hillmap.com/m/ag1zfmhpbGxtYXAtaGRychULEghTYXZlZE1hcBiAgIDQorr6CQw

Also the spider looks interesting, but likely that won’t happen with conditions the way they are. And a lot of mini golf couliors it seems close to the hut. East into Piney looks a bit treacherous to get out with any semi difficult avalanche conditions. We’ll see how it goes!

cometogether
    385 Posts

Sorry SG but you are spoiled down in the san juans with those big vert spots, usual vert in this area is around 1000k unless its springtime then its much larger. I would not recommend south facing slopes as pretty much most of the slides lately have been south or east aspects. The sun is getting stronger and changing the layering. Sounds like your timing should be pretty good as we are expecting some storms this next week.

travis! great to hear from you man glad to see your out getting it and i for sure will be hitting you up in feb-
    wed/thur sundays off and some flexibility if we need to hang out at a good spot or catch some storms. excited to see where the sled will lead me, so far its been lots of interesting terrain but not alot of vertical. pillows and cliffs are fun! but i want more than 5-800 ft shots..

couple crazy slides recently, I saw postage stamp went big at bert and two splitters where in it, also know the kid who was in the coon hill incident and luckily he is still here, skiing solo on big terrain is not very smart. he suffered a broken femur and arm but luckily he had his cell phone on and didnt get fully buried. shit is real this time of year and with more snow coming lets be very attentive to the little things. and PLEASE chill with the solo riding, its not a great idea as many things can happen, you could get slid on and NO ONE would know, or you could get broke off and still NO ONE would know- ESPECIALLY if you dont have phone service….

play safe everyone! SHRED FOR LIFE.

summersgone
    814 Posts

Yeah CT, I suppose we are a bit spoiled down here… I look for lines over 1.5K. I guess I don’t realize sometimes how awesome the San Juans are. I’ve got a few 2K+ lines this year, and I had buddies get a 3,900′ one. Yeah, were spoiled.

Thanks for the beta. Enjoy the pow this weekend all! Stay safe.

McNamara
    3 Posts

Heading up to Red Mt Pass in a few weekends, staying at the Mountain Belle for four days. How are the conditions around there? Any suggested tours?

summersgone
    814 Posts

Hey McNamara.

Conditions:
    Deep! About 30″ of new snow on red mountain pass since yesterday morning, and a bit more to come. Obviously this has made widespread avalanche conditions, which will probably be still present for the time you are there (whenever you come). Our conditions change regularly, so be sure to read the CAIC conditions prior. It is very dangerous if you don’t choose terrain wisely. But i’m of the opinion there is a lot of skiing to be had safely on red mountain pass. It is beautiful up there.

North San Juan

As for good snow, its probably good on all aspects after this storm (who knows in a few weeks). You’ll have to see. Good news is there is a lot of aspects out there to go on and see. Watch the Putney and senator beck weather station to see where things are loaded / not, and you will have a better time. the wind rose is really helpful up there. Red mountain pass can get wind, and most of that terrain is alpine.

Weather Stations

Tours:
    Red Mountain pass is very easy to tour around, as it isn’t super steep. I recommend just walking around. Its easy to stay out of avalanche danger, and also easy to get into it. I’ve safely toured all around that pass in red danger. Be safe out there and respect it though, even little aspects that sneak up on you. Its not a time to be skiing big stuff, and I’d probably stay away from anything over 30 degrees, unless it is very tight N facing trees (which isn’t a ton on Red Mountain Pass. But whenever you come may be different.
    This is a very common tour called “the office”. Very easy to do laps, and almost the whole slope is less than 30 degrees, so pretty much minimal avalanche danger. I’d probably start with this, and that basin in particular to get a starter feel.
    http://www.hillmap.com/m/ag1zfmhpbGxtYXAtaGRychULEghTYXZlZE1hcBiAgICQ66nlCAw
    Here is a run called Ole Boy. It is very popular, but note, this can and does slide often. It may be safe then, but you’ll have to see.
    http://www.hillmap.com/m/ag1zfmhpbGxtYXAtaGRychULEghTYXZlZE1hcBiAgICQ1OyvCww
    This is a fun low angle run to lap as well.
    http://www.hillmap.com/m/ag1zfmhpbGxtYXAtaGRychULEghTYXZlZE1hcBiAgIDQ4oSgCgw
    You can also ski into prospect basin as well and ski in there a couple laps. Its fun, low angle. Be safe in there though, it can slide, and can go pretty large. Shoot for the weather station, which is putney. And make sure before you drop in you know how to get out safely! This slide path went pretty large last year, all the way to the mine. A sizeable cornice sets up on it.
    http://www.hillmap.com/m/ag1zfmhpbGxtYXAtaGRychULEghTYXZlZE1hcBiAgICQ66nlCgw
    In US basin, there is a lot of skiing as well. you can walk and see pretty much everything from the basin, and choose your own adventure. There is low angle to gnarlier runs. Access is as follows:
    http://www.hillmap.com/m/ag1zfmhpbGxtYXAtaGRychULEghTYXZlZE1hcBiAgIDQotX2Cww
    You could also ski cemetery and hitch back up the pass. Be safe on this one though you don’t want to miss the run to either side. It is avalanche prone in certain conditions (I probably wouldn’t ski it in the next week).
    http://www.hillmap.com/m/ag1zfmhpbGxtYXAtaGRychULEghTYXZlZE1hcBiAgICQ2fq-CQw

Lot more options and much bigger tours, but that should put you in the right direction. theres also a lot of other options on the other side of the pass if you want to venture out there. Trees have been skiing pretty good lately and are less prone to wind events.

Hope that helps, be safe and have fun!

McNamara
    3 Posts

That helps a ton, thanks for all of the detailed info. We will most likely spend one day on the other side of the pass, any recommendations over there? The basins on the other side look intriguing….

summersgone
    814 Posts

This was my favorite tour I did this year on that side. It is a bit mellower, but gets up to 13,500 and a stellar view of Telluride. One SE facing path that we rode was certainly avalanche prone, but could be avoided if you need. If its not windy out, and conditions permit, its a great one.
    https://www.gaiagps.com/datasummary/track/6d1e5a943ce8cb83aa4ce4063ba342b9/

There is also commodore trees, and more up the ridge you can see. Here is the skin track up, choose your own adventure down.
    http://www.hillmap.com/m/ag1zfmhpbGxtYXAtaGRychULEghTYXZlZE1hcBiAgIDQoeb3CAw

Also a lot of other stuff that you will be able to see how to get up / down lower on red mtn pass. More difficult to tour from the hut though.

Taylor
    791 Posts

After a prolonged dry (and warm, and windy) spell, the southern Sawatch / northern Sangres received a good walloping with the 2/22 2/23 storm event. Atmospheric lift associated with the low pressure allowed easterly “upslope” winds to extend higher into the atmosphere than usual, causing upslope snow to pile up nicely as far west as Monarch Pass–which doesn’t always happen with upslope (heavy snow is often restricted to the Ark valley). Lots of windward scour (even into the old snow) and lee deposition and wind slab atop the old snow, and in fairly unusual places given such strong winds are northerly or northwesterly during or following cold fronts. Long range, March is looking favorable for NW flow in CO, shown here in a graphic by Flagstaff meteorologist Lee Born bemoaning the corresponding ridge of steel that’s a big El Nino let down for them and SoCal.

@sun_rocket

SplitterX
    104 Posts

I will add a little action to this Thread. I know there are a lot of rad lines going down right now.

IMG_0848 by travis young 424[/url], on Flickr
    Furberg Floats!

We rode some rowdy terrain this weekend. Snow was good. South of Gypsum.

IMG_1049 (1) by travis young 424[/url], on Flickr

IMG_0911 by travis young 424[/url], on Flickr

IMG_0994 by travis young 424[/url], on Flickr

IMG_0994 by travis young 424[/url], on Flickr

Fast and smooth

cometogether
    385 Posts

yeah Travis! nice shots!
    Jason- how are those vert numbers coming along?

The snow has been different but fun lately, this whole spring in February thing was kind of throwing me off but it did allow for some really good shred days on bigger peaks.

Southparksplit and I have been touring some AMAZING new places thanks to the snow machines, they are a great tool to get you somewhere new and somewhere farther out away from the crowds. It adds another element to the whole process and can make for fun times when the weather isnt great or to check on a zone before skinning for a long time. I still love the silence of skinning!

Hoping we get some storms here shortly, riding the alpine is fun right now but I would definitely take some more pow for a month or so before we get spring here again.

I did have a funny mishap with the phantoms and wondering if anyone else has done this:
    strait up forgot to pack the bindings in my bag and toured almost 2000 vertical up to a nice top out on a feature rich face I would have loved to shred… (insert that silly ‘because I got high’ song)

granted I skied it like a boss, but it sure wasn’t snowboarding..

IF I would have had more light I would have FOR SURE went back up for a rebate..

I will take a big photo dump here soon, just loading it up. HAHA SHRED ON friends!

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 77 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.