Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 131 total)
  • Author
    summersgone
    814 Posts

@tex, if you show up in Silverton, I believe there was a new wellness center opened, and Durango now has 3 offerings.

As for tours, I’ll be touring Sunday around Silverton, but it seems this storm isn’t fully going to hit us, and you’d have better luck with powder up north. But I have a good documented list of tour options I could share with you if you were touring during the week.

Just got your email too about splitfest. I can’t access gmail from work, so look for an email back in the next couple days.

Ill be free to tour mon and tues if you are around these parts… northern / central mtns. Dont worry about the wellness centers, they are a plenty. Most towns round here in the hills have at least one 🙂 Looks like this weekends storm might distribute kinda random snow totals…

cometogether
    385 Posts

Tex! this weekend could very well be off the hook crazy! both traffic and snow… if it all “comes together” like they are talking It could be pretty rad.

I personally enjoy strain wise dispensaries as they have fair rec pricing and usually some good quality, plus lots of locations- (best 2 are Colorado blvd and i70,& Idaho springs location)

If your looking for an easy place to tour that WILL be good, I would say Berthoud pass. Its close to the front range side of things.. it will probably ski like a resort on Saturday/ sunday so best bet is be there watching the sun come up. we can chill in the lot and get safe if I see you.

Taylor
    791 Posts

@tex: First flakes are flying and the models continue uptrend with this weekend’s storm into next week–it’s a biggie–and then two other potential biggies following it. It’s a pretty safe bet that CO is going to be off the hook through next week and weekend. It’ll also be deep-slab dangerous.

@sun_rocket

cometogether
    385 Posts

Hey Taylor can you give me an update on what’s doing near you? Storm was kind of a dud, I did ski some goodies but was thinking so much more with the weather runs I saw…. Thank you sir!

permnation
    303 Posts

Wolf Creek will be great Mon. and Tues. 14″ storm total so far and snowing about 2″ an hour in South Fork.

Taylor
    791 Posts

Hey Taylor can you give me an update on what’s doing near you? Storm was kind of a dud, I did ski some goodies but was thinking so much more with the weather runs I saw…. Thank you sir!

As of Sun evening I’m guessing we’re around ~14″ storm total @ 11.5K and still snowing moderately. It is supposed to continue overnight and tomorrow. Like Wolf, Mon and Tues will be very good, though, ultimately, not as deep as Wolf. I think the eastern San Juans are going to be the big winners. In any case, the BC trees I frequent were soft and deep before this cycle, so this is all infill and gravy.

@sun_rocket

cometogether
    385 Posts

taylor you have a pm.

Well.. Monarch was pretty darn sick the last 3 days 🙂

-Sunday was damn cold! Only got a few laps in about 8″ or so since my ladies feet were frozen by the 4 degree temp, doh!!
    -Monday was pretty deep.. 2ft or so. Deep enough to ride the lift till noon 🙂 Got a sweet rope drop to mirkwood and 2nd tracks thru the bowl. After it got choppy it was across the rd to put in a skinner for yesterday and a few over-the-head laps.
    -Yesterday…SKinner breaking wore me out but got back up for some of the best & deepest turns of the yr! Most solar aspect had warmed up and a crust formed when the shade hit. Sun was strong out there yesterday. Stability seemed pretty good considering… on a west aspect there was a slight density change at the end of the storm and it caused a slight slab on top…

– Day off today! My legs need it 🙂

summersgone
    814 Posts

Holy hell. What a last few days. 27″ of new snow on the red mountain snotel (2.5 inches of water), silverton mountain claimed 35″, wolf Creek 42″ from the storm. It was seriously deep.

I rode Sunday – Tuesday. Sunday backcountry by Silverton Mountain, NE aspects below treeline, super super good, but towards 3pm everything was storm slab and breaking off easily. Naturals like whoa, but small and somewhat manageable. Monday and Tuesday must have been terrifying. Saw lots of activity around Bear Creek in Telluride yesterday. Toured the local closed ski area, Hesperus, Monday, and went to Telluride yesterday. Epic Chinese downhill on Revelation Bowl.

Forecast looks really damn good again. seems like winter is returning to the San Juans!

Oh, and I took 2 pictures in 3 days, and none were exciting, sorry CT. It was too good to take out a camera. I needed to just ride.

DEAGOL
    48 Posts

glad the San Juans are getting snow…

Is Ski Hespurus out of business?

I sometimes would go there during my college years. Sad to hear it is gone

summersgone
    814 Posts

@deagol Hesperus closed for the season on Presidents day. Weren’t getting enough snow. Bit of a shame because they had about 1-2 new feet of snow. The base was complete ice, but you’d think they could have held on. Maybe they will reopen. They are calling for more snow for us.
    http://www.durangoherald.com/article/20150213/SPORTS/150219859/Hesperus-Ski-Area-calling-it-a-season-

Looks like 2 more storms on the way for the san juans!!! Weekend, then tues / wed… Im headed to jackson fri… doh! But they do have a mostly stable snowpack up there right now 🙂
    I’m sure things are touchy in the san juans and looking to get more unstable with the next storms. Be safe down there and enjoy winters return!!!!

DEAGOL
    48 Posts

I posted this in the other thread, but since it doesn’t get much traffic, I thought I would try here also..

anyone interested in going up to Butler or elsewhere this weekend?
    I was at Jones on Sunday and it was good.

Taylor
    791 Posts

Repeat! Pinche doble! Dang-o! The San Juans are going supergrande AGAIN! NWS just put out a little FB blurb saying up to 4′ this weekend at Wolf. That’s where I’m going. Supa-deep.

@sun_rocket

Taylor
    791 Posts

3 to 6 days Snowfall (issued Wednesday 25 Feb at 11pm MST)

3 to 6 days Snowfall (issued Wednesday 25 Feb at 11pm MST)

@sun_rocket

summersgone
    814 Posts

That’s claiming spots of 60-100″ for us. I haven’t seen a storm like that that since christmas 2010. On top of the 35″ we already got last weekend. Holy hell, its certainly going to be historic level avalanches.

And I’m going to need a bigger board…

Taylor
    791 Posts

Yeah, those are big numbers. We’ll see if it verifies, but it’ll be big regardless–and really dangerous. Lifts or low angles (if you can float it), disconnected from avalanche terrain. Dusting off the old 195 Glissade this morning…

@sun_rocket

DEAGOL
    48 Posts
    cometogether
    385 Posts

HAHAHAH remember just a week ago when I said I hope everyone gets to ride in a storm when its too deep.. Looks like that is about to happen!!!!! long boards for sure! good luck finding terrain that will ride and not slide with that much weight.. WOW play safe friends! and I totally understand when nobody comes with pics, there are just days when its a total PITA to take them and there is pow to be ridden!

enjoy the COLORADO FEAST!

the front range city is getting all the goods! just push that storm 65 miles west please! 10 in Denver- 6 at bert today. still fun and STILL SNOWING!

deagol- I will be getting out as usual on sunday, not sure the plan yet but you have my number hit me up Saturday and we will chat.

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 131 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.