Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 131 total)
  • Author
    DEAGOL
    48 Posts

OK, I am gonna try again for this coming weekend since I didn’t get out this past one: Anyone wanna head up this sunday Feb 15th ???

Taylor
    791 Posts

It started snowing in Salida last night at about 9:00. A moist easterly flow drove heavy snow up the Arkansas River Valley all night. I awoke at 4:45 to about 7″ at my house, and it was still snowing. I gathered gear, made coffee and set off for a dawn patrol. The storm was lifting as dawn broke and I took the crest.

null

Along the ridge, in open terrain, there were 3-4 inches of wind-affected snow, but there was well over a foot–I’d even say even over a foot and a half–in the trees and glades. I interrupted my breakfast face-shots to snap a shot or two on the descent for cometogether. I was back in my home office for an 8:30 conference call.

Shred on!

@sun_rocket

DEAGOL
    48 Posts

Awesome, super nice to live so close to that.

summersgone
    814 Posts

Nice Taylor! Hoping one of these storms swings down to us eventually. I may be searching for corn this weekend it looks. Temps at 11K look like they will be 45, and have been 45 at 11K for the past 5 days. I just need to just stop bitching and climb a mountain is my thought.

Anyone prior to this last cold wave have any luck finding corn, on what aspect and elevation? I’m thinking of going 11-13K S-SE facing, but its just crazy to think that in February… I’ve just notice N facing is scoured prior to the last snow event, E facing got a bunch of sun (but maybe not enough), and I have a feeling W facing is a bit thin. Any advice on what other people are seeing would be great.

Taylor
    791 Posts

No corn yet here. Before this last storm we had sun-affected heavy settled snow on S faces, but not corn. I was still finding cold, soft shots in treed N and NW aspects between 11 and 11.6 – the key being wind and to a lesser extent sun protection, I think.

But I agree with your thinking; if I were corn hunting this weekend I’d try SW-S-SE faces above 11k, starting with SE.

@sun_rocket

cometogether
    385 Posts

thanks for the pics taylor! we need to tour sometime. sounds like you have quite the setup being that close to the hill. im an hour away and hungry for more time!

as far as corn goes its almost there! E and S definitely had a sun crust layer developing on the top layers, not full iso but plenty enough to make me think corn as well for this weekend. Im thinking the lower elevation the better, here it has been windy and that keeps the snow cold despite the temps. Then add in elevation and your less likely to find corn I think, more of a crunchy punchy corn.. I saw a lot of the same things taylor is seeing despite the difference in location, north was still skiing soft as long as it didn’t see much sun.. There are some spots out there to be had but these are the times when its harder to find the goods.

but don’t let that stop you from getting outside!!! fuck the shitty, go climb a mountain!

KEEP the pics coming!
    heres some from a couple days ago
    [mg]a href=”https://www.flickr.com/photos/117329337@N03/16321006197″ title=”iphone2-815 071 by eric kane, on Flickr”>iphone2-815 071[/img]

iphone2-815 113" />
    iphone2-815 090" />
    south to east aspects

shred on my friends!

Taylor
    791 Posts

Yeah, drop me a note (any of you guys) if you’re ever down this way or want to meet up farther north or south. My Saturdays are for touring.

@sun_rocket

Summersgone, My lady and i are headed to the silverton zone this weekend as well .. Talked with a very solid source and he was suggesting corn se, s, sw at about the elevations you had mentioned if it helps… We will be up touring off the summit of red mtn tomm mid-morning or so. Finally getting big blue and my camper out 🙂 It is crazy to be thinking corn right now… but at least its looking pretty much stable right now! Up north not so much currently…

Taylor.. we’ll have to get out this winter for sure! I tour down at monarch quite a bit throughout the winter. Hard not to get down that way. uncrowded pow, good breweries and great hot springs always make a great day in Co 🙂 We need to get cometogether out a little further from the shitty 🙂

DEAGOL
    48 Posts

Yeah, drop me a note (any of you guys) if you’re ever down this way or want to meet up farther north or south. My Saturdays are for touring.

sounds like a good idea. I hope to hit the area around Fairplay in the coming weeks/months. Would that be within your driving range?

Taylor
    791 Posts

NWS Pueblo today:

“DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN…WEDNESDAY THROUGH MONDAY

A SIGNIFICANT WINTER STORM IS POSSIBLE THIS WEEKEND WITH A PROLONGED PERIOD OF HEAVY SNOW FOR ALL OF SOUTHERN COLORADO. EXPECT THE STORM TO ARRIVE FRIDAY NIGHT OVER THE CENTRAL MOUNTAINS
    AND SPREAD SOUTH AND EAST BY SATURDAY. WIDESPREAD HEAVY SNOW WILL BE POSSIBLE SATURDAY THROUGH SUNDAY EVENING WITH THE PRIMARY FOCUS ON THE EASTERN MOUNTAINS… WHILE THIS STORM IS SEVERAL DAYS OUT…IT HAS THE POTENTIAL TO BRING SIGNIFICANT IMPACTS TO SOUTHERN COLORADO THROUGH THE WEEKEND INTO MONDAY. TRAVEL COULD BE SIGNIFICANTLY IMPACTED. START MONITORING THE UPCOMING FORECASTS AND MAKING PREPARATIONS (for heavy shredding and) FOR HAZARDOUS CONDITIONS.”

@sun_rocket

This system / start of a pattern change (fingers crossed) looks promising 🙂
    Camped and toured with my lady for valentines day wkend up on red mtn pass. And while we had an amazing time… more snow please!!! Let this midwinter spring go away and winter return!!! Was out yesterday across the valley from flattenridge (breck) and remebered what snow hitting me in the face was!! Sorry no pics 🙁
    but lets just say the pup and i came in with full faceshot iced up faces 🙂

Lets it snow!!!!!!

Taylor
    791 Posts

Nice!

I was pleasantly surprised to find on this morning’s dawn patrol that, on most aspects down here, the snow prior to last storm survived last week’s warmth. On most aspects (except due S) there is no heinous crust beneath the 4 – 5″ that we got out of this last shot, though yesterday’s N wind scoured the ridge tops (as usual). But it’s a great set-up for this next cycle and, hopefully, pattern shift.

@sun_rocket

DEAGOL
    48 Posts

Chase and I did Geneva before the snow moved in on Sunday and it was very crusty with sastrugi above the trees. There was a thin, but very hard sun/melt crust a few inches down. I’ve never seen such a hard crust before….

That area is definately known for getting wind hammered just as most of the east slopes on the divide around here mid winter. The wind has been ripping up here in fairplay!!

Lets hope all of our prayers are answered with this next system and hopefully a full on pattern switch. Come on ULLR!!!!!

Taylor
    791 Posts

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Taylor wrote:</div>

sounds like a good idea. I hope to hit the area around Fairplay in the coming weeks/months. Would that be within your driving range?

Sorry I missed this… Yes, absolutely – that’s a little more than an hour from my place. I’m eager also to explore the Mosquito / Tenmile Range later in the winter.

@sun_rocket

cometogether
    385 Posts

yeah colorad O!

its almost storm time!

so I rode some random bert on sunday and it started DUMPING around 2pm, so I stayed till dark…
    I then slowly crawled for 4 hours to get home, thinking how rad it would be to get up and do it all over again. I made the call for the day off Monday.

Eldo got 15! so we went to moffat east portal, who had probably double that….I have struggled in days past with snow that is almost too deep, as hard as that sounds I hope everyone experiences it. Skinning, transitioning, RIDING, all have been frustrating at times, but this is what we all ask for, MORE SNOW.

It was a hell of a long day and I really didn’t ride all that much terrain, it was either to flat to ride or to unstable to attack. Its fun either way, and ironically I will never EVER tell the sky to stop snowing.

I did manage at least a good pic or two! these make the whole day seem cherry!
    face shot moffet" />
    IMG_3495" />

heres to the next storm!
    doing my snow dance in hopes this next storms dumps BIG! I want a rebate

DEAGOL
    48 Posts

amen to that….
    I won’t be doing any splitting this weekend, but will be snowboarding anyway:
    Saturday- Copper
    Sunday- snowcat
    Monday- Copper

cometogether
    385 Posts

its going to be pure hell on the roads if this storm does what is expected.

well that is for us front rangers! you others are extremely lucky that’s not part of your trip planning.

headlamp time!

however you turn, may your face shots be plenty!

TEX
    2486 Posts

Thinking about flying in for a few days. We have nothing here. Need suggestions please

Need an airport within a couple of hours drive, cheap motel nearby, “wellness store” would be good

maybe even some locals willing to tour a couple Californians around or point us towards terrain

havent been at altitude in a while. last tour was 12/30/14

Need to try out my new venture

Taylor
    791 Posts

Tex, I’d be happy to show you around here (Salida) but you’ll find better, easier-access terrain and more snow farther north, which is also closer to the Denver airport (we’re 3.5 hrs away here). Others on this forum can speak to those zones–being new to CO, I can’t. Not sure how much response you’ll get though given the exodus since the switch-over to the new format.

@sun_rocket

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 131 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.