Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 131 total)
  • Author
    cometogether
    385 Posts

meet my new van – DuMoore! stoked to build it out and enjoy life on another level!
    //flic.kr/p/qPEQDz]iohone1-16-15 177 by hardtryer[/url][/img], on Flickr

cometogether
    385 Posts

high pressure let us get into the S chute near copper, I struggled skinning thru the trees only to realize that most people just skin strait up the chute.. HAHA live and learn- //flic.kr/p/qPQ2JM]iohone1-16-15 257 by hardtryer[/url][/img], on Flickr

cometogether
    385 Posts

Who doesn’t love LUCY the super dog? she makes a mockery of our energy every time we go out. blue river area near breck
    //flic.kr/p/qPQ2uD]iohone1-16-15 237 by hardtryer[/url][/img], on Flickr

cometogether
    385 Posts

what up COLORADO!!?
    went out despite the downright stupid winds we’ve been having and found some fun stuff, we needed some snow

//flic.kr/p/pXkGsf]iphone12215 038 by hardtryer[/url],[/img] on Flickr
    and then we got a nice little 10″ storm for the northern fronts and that helped! this was the only pic I took all day, and it was because I launched off that dead tree and it was fun!
    //flic.kr/p/pXkJ7s]iphone12215 062 by hardtryer[/url],[/img] on Flickr

hows everyone else doing around the state? anybody out getting after it!? Looking to tour with some new people here as the season starts rolling! lets get that POW

AND SHOW PICS DAMN IT!

Rico in AZ
    559 Posts

Monarch:
    Me n my wife made a trip through Colorado last week (read: not much splitboarding). Crested Butte was decent, however it was obvious it got real warm, and crusted up high, above 10k’.
    The second leg of our trip we made over to Monarch for a few days. The ski area obviously had more snow than CB, and the heat crust didn’t happen at Monarch. Thursday was a perfect ski day, Taylor came up from Salida, and we we had been talking about touring out on Monarch Ridge. Friday nuking winds kicked up, and stripped off the upper few hundred feet off Monarch Ridge. So Saturday morning we toured out on that little peak above the highway the locals call Snow Stake. The open areas had been scoured a little with sastrugi forming. We rode the northwest facing trees and it was pretty decent. Deep pow, few old ski tracks, and most importantly no wind damage. I was pleasantly surprised with this little spot.
    Sorry Cometogether, no photos were taken.

summersgone
    814 Posts

The first group I think to put in the skintrack up Snowslide this year, on 1/3

Skiing was good, creek crossing was pretty gnarly

Snow has dried up here the last few weeks, as with most places, but making it interesting anyways.

Skiers messing up my 8s…

cometogether
    385 Posts

YEAH Jason, great pics! you’re obviously not using an iphone! I like the dollar signs that skier was making! Rico- nice snow study skills! that is exactly what happened. Here in my part of town we have adapted a new slogan. “the front range– its where the winds live” sad but true, after one quick, shitty lap I left the hills only to explode the chain on my road bike 4 miles in.. what a rad sunday!

so no new pics since yesterday was a total bust, IT WAS SUPPOSED to clear up, I wouldn’t have carried all my extra climbing shit if I knew it would be blowing 40mph and rain snarting all day..

maybe next time.

lets keep those pics coming!

Well not much new to report… Been out touring quite a bit this season with some great days out at monarch around x-mas\ new yrs and summit area since. Have found some great snow till this past week. Hoping for something to come thru and break thru this ridge blocking everything, doh! Looks like wolfies might do ok…if so loading up the camper for a few days early next week. I need my wolfies fix 🙂 Lets it snow…please!!!

UTAH
    830 Posts

We need to get you a camera SPSN, hope your doing well. Love all the pics guys, I wonder if your high elevation has anything to do with how all your pictures from Colorado turn out so clear and vivid, really impressive.

summersgone
    814 Posts

Stormed pretty much skunked us. Maybe 2-4″ of new snow. Pretty depressing really, when we were hoping for 12″. The N faces, which normally hold the best snow were scoured prior. Sad thing is Silverton received about 20″ of snow for the entire month of January. The 10 day forecast has minimal chance of snow for 10 days.

Went out Saturday, and witnessed a pretty close call. Pretty much caught everyone off guard. A separate group of 3 remote triggered (3rd person) a windslab 200 feet away. The north face’s that were scoured seemed to be the biggest culprit.

CAIC report here:
    http://avalanche.state.co.us/caic/obs/obs_report.php?obs_id=30255

I know I’m sounding just really depressing. Next weekend I’ll probably be riding the dirt bike, not even sure I’ll tour. Hopefully snow returns.

cometogether
    385 Posts

….. If I could fight the wind I would.. but as everyone already knows the wind wins.. its hard to deal with 40-60 mph gusts for the entire 10 day outlook. I still like getting out but its obviously not as fun wondering if the snow will even be skiable… I did manage to find some super dense trees near moffet tunnel east portal that held great snow and had some rocks to drop. super fun! expecting some snow this week, hoping my ups brown santa gets here so I can contribute to a couple threads around here! stoked.

glad you like the pics, most of the guys in Co have really nice cameras and take great pictures. I on the other hand have skier friends that just don’t like taking pics… so that’s why all my pics are of skiers.. and shot with a iphone5s. I try..

COME ON SNOW!!!

MountainDog
    20 Posts

I’ve mostly been posting in the “random snow pics” thread in the TR section, but man this place is dead. There’s been plenty of good snow to find. Here are the last two weekends:

Berthoud Pass
    @hikeforturns
    Berthoud Pass 1/25/15 by MountainDog[/url], on Flickr

Berthoud Pass 1/25/15 by MountainDog[/url], on Flickr

Monarch Pass on Superbowl Sunday
    @killclimbz and @barrows
    Monarch Pass 2/1/15 by MountainDog[/url], on Flickr

Mt. Aetna

MountainDog
    20 Posts

Oops! Double post. I’ll blame the new forum.

Nice pics! Saw u guys as i was leaving the lot on sunday. Snow was pretty decent down there, i went back down monday with my lady and got some more 🙂 Just getting a little reset up north this morning as well. But as always we can use some more….Come on ULLR!!!!

DEAGOL
    48 Posts

I was on the Monarch Pass trip as well, it was great. Thank to the guys for inviting me along..
    Is anyone interested in going up some place mellow near Bert or Butler this Sunday by chance ???

Taylor
    791 Posts

Here is another recent photo from Monarch. It is sucky and dangerous up there. The dragon can really ruin your day. Best try somewhere else.

I’m going Sat if anyone wants to meet up.

@sun_rocket

DEAGOL
    48 Posts

I would take you up on that offer if it was Sunday, but can’t do Saturday 🙁

cometogether
    385 Posts

mountaindog- Ive been watching some of your posts and it looks like you get out to some good spots! we should do some tours.

today I put in the longest day for me this season- 7a-7p freshies in the i70 corridor left around 10 inches at bert and that is hard to pass up on a weekday. Did almost every aspect of skiing except north- which was heavily affected by all these strong winds we’ve been having.

Deagol- im not sure much will be going on for this sunday- sounds like that stupid high pressure ridge will be back but as i’ve mentioned earlier it looks like the winds will be here all week too. that has been doing some damage to what’s out there for sure- might need to trip to Jackson! looks silly out there.

DEAGOL
    48 Posts

Deagol- im not sure much will be going on for this sunday- sounds like that stupid high pressure ridge will be back but as i’ve mentioned earlier it looks like the winds will be here all week too. that has been doing some damage to what’s out there for sure- might need to trip to Jackson! looks silly out there.

yeah, but I’ve got this darn desk job and have to go when I can.. and Saturday is out. Seems like getting out, even if no fresh snow, is better than doing nothing.

cometogether
    385 Posts

I totally understand that! its just a debate to ride or to climb with mid 60’s in the shitty. (city)

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 131 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.