Forums Splitboard Talk Forum 120,000 foot skydive
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of libtechsplitlibtechsplit
    198 Posts

in the “off topic but interesting” category…

redbull is going to broadcast live the world record skydive attempt, tomorrow morning at 6:30 am MST. the jumper is hoping to break the sound barrier.

he will jump from his helium ballon capsule when it reaches the stratosphere, wearing only a pair of speedo’s. I kid you not.

http://www.redbullstratos.com/live/

be there – witness the spectacle.

(ok, i kid a little bit.)

Profile photo of saignsaign
    330 Posts

I know Art Thompson who built the capsule and is the head of this project, as well as Felix ,the guy who’s jumping. They’re both super good guys. They’ve been working on this for the last 5 years, it’s fuggn gnarly! I’ve been in the capsule, seen this from the start, and could have worked on it if I wanted too. He’s not in speedo’s, he’s wearing a space suit. Supposedly if a human reaches the speed of sound without being encased in the proper container their blood will boil…although no one knows, because it’s never been done.

Felix said that it doesn’t even feel like you’re falling, or going fast because there is no depth perception, it doesn’t seem like the ground is getting closer for a long time. The last jump was 60,000 or somewhere around there, and he was free falling for like 4 minutes.

198 Posts

lol, way to poke holes in my fun with all that reality stuff…

It is a mind blowing thing they are attempting, i read some of the background on the website, and if i can make it to work by 530 my time, i fully intend to watch it, I.T. bandwidth nazi’s be damned.

saign, you must have a pretty good job, if you chose NOT to work on something thats damn close to NASA level type sheeit.

still, without Redbull speedo’s , his glory WILL be reduced somewhat. Maybe they’ll be under the space suit.

198 Posts

launch delayed til 11:30 MST – you can still be there when it happens!

330 Posts

you’re right…he would get way more gnar points in speedos

Profile photo of classicautoclassicauto
    152 Posts

@saign wrote:

Felix said that it doesn’t even feel like you’re falling, or going fast because there is no depth perception, it doesn’t seem like the ground is getting closer for a long time. The last jump was 60,000 or somewhere around there, and he was free falling for like 4 minutes.

Apparently the lack of atmosphere prevents any rippling or wind noise on the suit as well, furthering the feelling of being still.

198 Posts

well, no grand spectacle today, hopefully they get another weather window and try again soon…

330 Posts

Ya I was watching when the decided to pull the plug…Hopefully they get a window soon, or it could be off till spring

198 Posts

damn i hope not, this could be a life marker for me. i have an atrocious day to day memory, i need spectacular events as time waypoints. for example – the space shuttle Columbia explosion in 2003 – i was moving to B.C. on that day. literally driving here with all my stuff in a motorhome, listening to the radio.

198 Posts

wooo what do i wake up to? the capsule is already at 60,000 feet!

Profile photo of burtonburton
    329 Posts

yeaha – drink red bull and all thing s work well

nice job felix baumgartner

burton

330 Posts

I totally missed it 😥 I saw last night on facebook that they were rushing back to Roswell, but I went fishing this morning and totally missed it (and got skunked) :banghead:

Looks like it all went good. I’m super stoked for everyone involved. It’s been a long journey full of ups and downs to make that happen.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.